Types of Vermont Driver’s Licenses – And How to Get Each One

Types of Vermont Driver’s Licenses - And How to Get Each One

So you need a Vermont-issued driver’s license.

That’s great! 

But which one do you need?

A Class D license?

An enhanced driver’s license?

A commercial one?

Who would have thought there were so many options?

If you’re unsure what you need, don’t worry — we’ve got you!

Our guide details the different types of Vermont driver’s licenses. 

Better yet, we’ve also included an overview of how to get them!

Now, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover, so let’s jump right in…

What Are the Types of Driver’s Licenses in Vermont?

Types of Vermont Driver’s Licenses

Vermont has a license for everything!

We’re not kidding — there are eight driver’s license types in the state.

Non-commercial licenses:

  • Class D
  • Class DPC
  • Class EDL

Commercial licenses:

  • Class A CDL
  • Class B CDL
  • Class C CDL

Motorcycle Endorsement:

  • Class M

Let’s see which is which.

Class D

A class D license is what you have in mind when you think about a “driver’s license”. Yes, this is the most common type that allows you to drive your car. 

But if you’re looking for specifics, then…

“A Class D license can operate any private vehicle that weighs fewer than 26,000 pounds and (if applicable) tows a vehicle/unit fewer than 10,000 pounds. The vehicle should not be used for commercial purposes”.

So whether you have a private sedan, a pickup, an SUV, or even an RV, a Class D license will do the job.

Class DPC

Like a Class D license, a Class DPC (Driver Privilege Card) allows you to drive a non-commercial vehicle with the same weight specifications. 

So what’s the difference?

You get a Class DPC if you cannot show proof of legal presence or citizenship when applying for a driver’s license. 

However, you cannot get a DPC unless you are a resident of Vermont. It is also not REAL ID-compliant.


A REAL ID-compliant driver’s license has dual purposes. It serves as identification and gives you driving privileges. 

Effective May 7, 2025, you will need a REAL ID-compliant license if you want to use it as your identification when traveling by air (yes, even domestic flights). You can also use it to enter federal facilities.

Class EDL

A Class EDL (Enhanced Driver’s License) is also REAL ID-compliant — so you can use it as identification when traveling domestically.

Besides that, you can also use it to re-enter the U.S. when returning from the following countries:

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Bermuda
  • The Caribbean

It is acceptable whether you’re traveling by land or sea. However, you cannot use it for international flights.

Remember, Class D, Class DPC, Real-ID, and Class EDL are all non-commercial licenses and have the same weight specifications. 

Now, let’s move on to the commercial licenses…

Class A CDL

A Class A CDL allows you to operate combination commercial motor vehicles (CMV) with a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or heavier. These combination CMVs tow vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds.

Examples of these are tractor-trailers, flatbeds, or semis.

As it’s the highest CDL class, you can use it to operate CMVs that require Class B and Class C CDLs. It gives commercial drivers flexibility.

Class B CDL

CMVs requiring Class B CDLs also have a weight rating of over 26,000 pounds. 

However, these are not combination vehicles. Instead, they are straight and heavy, like large city buses or dump trucks.

Let’s say the Class B CMV tows a unit or vehicle. If so, then the towed item should not exceed 10,000 pounds. 

Although you cannot drive Class A CMVs with Class B CDLs — it does allow you to operate Class C CMVs. 

Class C CDL

The last commercial license is for CMVs with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) under 26,001 pounds. If towing, the item should not go over 10,000 pounds. 

But wait…

Isn’t that the same as the Class D license?

Well, the difference is that you need a Class C CDL IF:

  • The vehicle is being used for commercial purposes
  • The vehicle is transporting hazardous materials (in enough amounts to require placarding)
  • The vehicle is carrying 16 or more passengers (including the driver) 

Class M

The M endorsement allows you to drive a motorcycle. However, you must have a driver’s license to apply for one.

How to Get a Class D License in Vermont

No matter what type of Vermont driver’s license you need — you always start with the regular Class D license. 

So you’ll need this license type no matter what. 

The great news is that the steps to getting a Class D, Class DPC, Real-ID, or Class EDL are the same. You just need to specify which one you want in the application. 

That said, let’s see how to get this license type. 

Step 1. Get a learner’s permit (this is required for everyone 15 years old and above).

  • Provide the necessary information by following the on-screen prompts. If under 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian will need to sign the application. 
  • Take and pass the written exam online.
  • Pay the following fees with a credit card:
    • For one attempt to take the written exam – $32 
    • Learner’s permit fee – $20
NOTE: If you fail to pass the written exam, you can retake it the next day. However, you must repay the exam fee. 
  • Get your receipt through email and use it as a temporary learner’s permit. The official one will arrive in the mail.
NOTE: With your learner’s permit, anyone under 18 years old must accumulate 40 hours of supervised driving, 10 of which must be at night. You must also complete a state-approved driver’s education program

Step 2. Switch to a junior driver’s license (required for 16-17 year olds only). 

  • Be at least 16 years old, hold your learner’s permit for a year, and ensure you don’t have any permit suspensions or recalls in the past 6 months. 
  • Gather the following documents:
    • Proof of identity and birthdate, Social Security Number, Vermont residence
    • Proof of lawful status (only for a REAL ID or EDL)

See a complete list of acceptable identity documents here.

  • Pass the driving test and pay the following fees:
    • Road test fee – $19
    • Licensing fee – $32
  • Get your junior driver’s license. 
NOTE: To qualify for a full Class D license, you must be at least 18 years old and maintain a clean driving record for the last six months before you apply.

Step 3. Upgrade to a Full Class D license (for anyone holding a junior driver’s license) 

  • Pay the appropriate fee:
    • Class D, DPC, and Real-ID – $32 (2-year validity) OR $51 (4-year validity
    • Class EDL – $62 (2-year validity) OR $81 (4-year validity) 
  • Receive your full Class D license in the mail. 

Remember, these steps are for aspiring Vermont drivers that have just turned 18 years old and hold a junior driver’s license. 

If you’re 18 and older and getting a first-time driver’s license, the process is slightly different. Check out our complete guide on Vermont Driver’s License Requirements for more details.

How to Get a Class A, B, and C CDL in Vermont

Getting a commercial driver’s license in Vermont can seem daunting.

But don’t panic! 

It’s more straightforward than you think. 

Besides, the steps are the same regardless of which CDL class you need.

Step 1. Fulfill the eligibility requirements before applying.

  • Be at least 18 years old (if driving intrastate) or 21 years old (if driving interstate).
  • Be a US citizen or a permanent resident. 
  • Have a valid Vermont-issued Class D license. 
  • Have no restrictions, suspensions, revocations, or cancellations to your Class D license. 
  • Have no more than 1 type of driver’s license. 
  • Comply with the FMCSA’s health requirements. 
  • Be able to understand, write, and speak English. 

Step 2. Get your commercial learner’s permit (required for everyone).

Click here for a comprehensive list of identity documents.

  • Take and pass the CDL written test and (if applicable) any endorsement written tests. You may also have to take and pass a vision test. 
  • Pay the necessary fees:
    • CDL written test – $32 
    • Endorsement test – $14 for each endorsement 
    • CDL permit fee – $15
  • Get your commercial learner’s permit.
NOTE: You must carry your CDL permit for 14 days or longer, complete an FMCSA Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT), and send your $24 Road Test Scheduling Deposit before you can schedule a CDL skills test.

Step 3. Get your commercial driver’s license.

  • Bring the following on test day:
    • All necessary identity documents (proof of identity and date of birth, lawful status, Vermont residence, and Social Security Number)
    • Your valid CDL permit and current Vermont-issued Class D license
    • A completed Application for Commercial License/Permit form
    • A CMV within the appropriate CDL class. Ensure that it has a valid inspection sticker and you have proof of insurance and registration.
    • A completed School Bus Endorsement Application and your knowledge test score (only for S endorsements)
  • Take and pass the CDL skills test and pay the required fees:
    • CDL skills test – $32
    • CDL fee – $60 (2-year validity) OR $90 (4-year validity). 
NOTE: The VT DMV will deduct $24 from your CDL fee if you go on your scheduled appointment and paid the Road Test Scheduling Deposit.
  • Get your CDL class, wehther A, B, or C. 

To know more about the steps, endorsements, and restrictions, visit our complete guide on Vermont CDL Requirements.

How to Get a Class M Endorsement in Vermont

You must have an M endorsement on your license to drive a motorcycle in Vermont.

You read that right — you need to have a driver’s license (junior or otherwise) before you can apply.

If so, here are the steps: 

NOTE: If there are no classes available, go to step 2. Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
  • Alternatively, you can take the motorcycle permit test online. It requires you to pay the following fees:
    • For each attempt to take the motorcycle written test – $9
    • Motorcycle permit fee – $20
  • Get your motorcycle permit.
NOTE: It remains valid for 120 days. If you do not get your endorsement within this time, you can renew it twice. 

You must wait 12 months before you can get another permit if you still haven’t completed the process after two renewals.
  • Gain riding experience. Although you can already operate a motorcycle, you must observe the following restrictions:
    • You can only drive it during the day
    • You cannot have any passengers
    • Your permit is only valid in Vermont
  • Schedule your road test online and bring the following to your appointment:
    • Your valid motorcycle permit
    • A motorcycle to use for the road test
    • Proof of identity and birthdate, Vermont residence, Social Security Number, and lawful status
  • Pay the $19 testing fee. Remember, if you don’t pass on your first try, you can retake it after seven days, but you must pay another fee.
  • Pass your riding test.
  • Pay the appropriate motorcycle fee:
    • When added to Class D, Real-ID, or Class DPC – $38 (2-year validity) OR $63 (4-year validity) 
    • When added to Class EDL – $68 (2-year validity) OR $93 (4-year validity)
  • Get your M endorsement.

For more information, you can check out the VT DMV page.  

The Wrap Up

That was quite a read! 

But at least now you know all the information you need about the types of Vermont driver’s licenses. 

And when you know your options and how to get them, you’re ready to start the process! 

Remember, if you get a little lost, you can always return to this page (and even check out the complete guides)!

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *