Vermont CDL Requirements (A Complete 2024 Guide)

Vermont CDL Requirements

A driver’s license doesn’t only give you freedom — it can also help you make a living.

After all, becoming a commercial driver can be an excellent career choice.

However, having a regular driver’s license isn’t enough. 

If you want to operate a commercial vehicle, you must have the correct credentials. That means putting time and effort into getting your commercial driver’s license (CDL). 

And guess what? 

That’s what this article is all about. 

From the different CDL classes to endorsements, restrictions, and the steps and requirements — it’s all here!

So are you ready to learn about the Vermont CDL requirements?

Let’s go!

CDL Classes in Vermont

Knowing what CDL class you need is essential. So let’s start with that.

In Vermont, there are three CDL classes:

  • Class A CDL
  • Class B CDL
  • Class C CDL

One of the worst things that could happen is realizing that your CDL class doesn’t allow you to operate the commercial motor vehicle (CMV) you want.

This is why, let’s take the time to explore each class. 

Class A CDL

Most commercial drivers apply for Class A CDL because it allows them to operate most — if not all — CMVs (assuming they have the necessary endorsements). 

However, Class A CDLs are specifically for combination CMVs with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) exceeding 26,000 pounds or more. That includes the weight of its towed vehicle, which must be over 10,000 pounds. 

Flatbeds, semis, and big rigs require a Class A CDL.

Class B CDL

Any single CMV with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of over 26,000 pounds needs a Class B CDL. If the vehicle tows a vehicle/unit, that should not go over 10,000 pounds. 

If you want to just drive large city buses, dump trucks, or box vans, apply for this CDL class. Carrying it also allows you to operate Class C CMVs.

Class C CDL

CMVs that don’t meet the specifications of Class A or B fall under Class C.

In other words, it can operate combination or single CMVs that weigh fewer than 26,000 pounds and, if towing, tow vehicles/units fewer than 10,000 pounds. 

However, there is another unique specification for Class C CDLs. 

This is that the CMV must be used for these purposes alone: 

  • Carries hazardous materials in quantities that require placarding according to federal regulations
  • Transports 15 or more passengers (we didn’t include the driver in this headcount)

Otherwise, a vehicle with the same weight as Class C CMVs can be operated by a regular driver’s license. 

CDL Endorsements in Vermont

There are CDL classes — then there are CDL endorsements. 

These two work hand in hand.

An endorsement on your commercial license confirms that you received additional training for a specific purpose. 

So when you apply for your CDL, check if you need to include any endorsements. 

Vermont commercial drivers can have the following endorsements:

  • T endorsement: required to operate CMVs towing double or triple trailers.
  • N endorsement: needed to drive vehicles with permanent or portable tanks with a capacity of at least 1,000 gallons (these usually haul liquid or gaseous materials).
  • P endorsement: required for passenger vehicles (those that transport 15 or more passengers, excluding the driver).
  • S endorsement: required if you want to drive school buses.
  • H endorsement: used for CMVs transporting hazardous materials in large quantities.
  • X endorsement: for vehicles that meet the requirements for both the N and H endorsements.

Remember, you can have the correct CDL class. But without the appropriate endorsement, you still can’t operate certain CMVs or transport specific loads.

CDL Restrictions in Vermont

Another thing you’ll need to be aware of is CDL restrictions. 

Here are the restrictions in Vermont: 

  • E (No Manual Transmission): You cannot operate a commercial vehicle with manual transmission because you completed the CDL road test using a CMV with automatic transmission.
  • K (Intrastate Only): Indicates that you cannot drive for commerce across state lines as you only applied for intrastate in your application. 
  • L (No Air Brake Equipped CMV): For those who didn’t take (or did not pass) the air brakes knowledge test. You can also get this restriction if the CMV you used for the CDL skills test did not have this feature.
  • Z (No Full Air Brake Equipped CMV): If you completed your CDL skills test using a CMV with air hydraulic brakes. These are not air brakes, so you cannot drive commercial vehicles with full air brakes.
  • M (No Class A Passenger Vehicle): Prohibits you from operating a Class A passenger vehicle. It means you used a passenger vehicle requiring a Class B or C CDL during your road test.
  • N (No Class A and B Passenger Vehicle): For applicants who used a Class C vehicle during their CDL skills test. You cannot operate passenger vehicles requiring Class A or Class B CLDs.
  • O (No Tractor Trailer CMV): Indicates that you cannot drive a combination CMV that uses a pintle hook (or other non-fifth wheel connection) for its towed unit.
  • P (No Passengers in CMV Bus): Drivers with a CDL permit get this restriction. It means they cannot carry passengers besides auditors, inspectors, test examiners, or other trainees. Yes, even if they have a P or S endorsement on their permits. 
  • V (Medical Variance): This is added if you have a medical variance on the CDLIS driver record.
  • X (No Cargo in CMV Tank Vehicle): This is given to commercial drivers with an N endorsement on their CDL permit. It means that their tank vehicle must be empty when they practice driving. 

CDL Requirements in Vermont

So we’ve covered CDL classes, endorsements, and restrictions.

There’s only one more thing to ensure before you begin the application process — your eligibility.

You must meet the following criteria if you want to apply for a CDL in Vermont:

  • You match the minimum age requirement:
    • At least 18 years old to drive intrastate
    • At least 21 years old to travel interstate
  • You are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
  • You have a valid Vermont-issued driver’s license.
  • You have all your driving privileges (no suspensions, revocations, or cancellations).
  • You do not have more than one driver’s license.
  • You comply with the FMCSA’s health requirements.
  • You understand the English language (written and spoken).

How many boxes did you mark off? 

A check on every line item means you’re good to go!

If you’re missing some, then the first thing is to fulfill that. 

How to Get A CDL in Vermont

Getting a CDL in Vermont involves two phases:

  • Earning a CDL Permit
  • Securing a CDL

Let’s break these down into steps.

How to Get Your VT CDL Permit 

Here’s what you need to do to get your CDL permit in Vermont:

  1. Choose your CDL class and endorsements (if any).
  1. Gather the following documents:
    1. A completed Application for Commercial License/Permit (Form VL-031-CDL)
    2. A filled-out CDL Medical Certification (Form VL-033-CDL) 
    3. A current medical certificate (check Form VL-033-CDL if this is required for you)
    4. Proof of identity and birthdate (1), Social Security number (1), lawful status (1), and Vermont residence (2)

Ensure you bring the correct documents. Click here for a complete list!

  1. Use the Vermont DMV’s Online Scheduling System to make an appointment for your CDL permit/endorsement written test.
  1. On your visit, present the documents you gathered in Step 3 and your valid Vermont-issued driver’s license. 
  1. Pass the vision test (if administered).
  1. Take and pass the CDL written test(s).
  1. Pay the following fees:
    1. CDL knowledge test – $32
    2. Endorsement test(s) – $14 each
    3. CDL permit – $15
  1. Get your CDL permit, also called a commercial learner’s permit (CLP). 

And phase one is complete!

With a CLP, you can get behind the wheel of a CMV that matches your class/endorsement. However, a licensed commercial driver with the same CDL class and endorsement must always be with you.

Also, don’t forget that you can’t drive a CMV that:

  • Is carrying hazardous materials
  • Has passengers (even if you have a P endorsement)
  • Has load (even if you have an N endorsement)

How to Get Your VT CDL

Once you have your CLP, you’re just a hop, jump, and skip away from getting your CDL.

Here are the steps:

  1. Hold your CLP for 14 days or longer.
  1. Complete the FMCSA-required Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT). Some ELDT providers allow you to start training even before you get your CDL permit.  
NOTE: This is a mandatory program for all commercial drivers in the following situations:

You’re a first-time applicant of a Class A CDL, Class B CDL, or H, P, or S endorsement 
You want to upgrade your current CDL from a Class B to Class A
  1. Send in your CDL Skills Test Scheduling Fee Receipt (Form VL-056-CDL) worth $24. You can pay with a credit card, check, or money order made payable to Vermont DMV. 
  1. Make an appointment online for your CDL skills test. It’s best to call your chosen location to give them more information about your CDL class, endorsements, etc…
  1. Bring the following to your CDL skills test:
    1. A filled-out Application for Commercial License/Permit (Form VL-031-CDL).
    2. Proof of identity and birthdate, lawful status, Social Security number, and residence in Vermont.
    3. Your valid CLP.
    4. Your current Vermont-issued driver’s license.
    5. An inspected, registered, and insured CMV in the appropriate CDL class and (if applicable) endorsement. 
    6. A School Bus Endorsement Application and your knowledge test score (only for S endorsements).
  1. Take and pass the CDL skills test. This includes:
    1. Pre-trip inspection
    2. Backing
    3. On-road test
  1. Pay the following fees:
    1. CDL skills test – $32
    2. CDL licensing fee: $60 (2-year validity) or $90 (4-year validity)
NOTE: The $24 CDL skills test scheduling fee will be credited toward your licensing fee. So now, it will only cost you $36 (2 years) or $66 (4 years).
  1. Get your commercial driver’s license. 

And that’s it — congratulations!

FAQs About the Vermont CDL Requirements

Do you have more questions about getting a commercial driver’s license in Vermont? You’re not the only one.

We gathered the most commonly asked questions and answered them.

More information at your fingertips!

How Many Questions Are on the Vermont CDL Permit Test?

Your CDL permit test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. You must get 40 (80%) correctly to pass. However, this does not include any endorsement written tests that you might need. 

Do You Need a CDL to Drive a Dump Truck in Vermont?

You are NOT required to have a CDL IF (and only if) the dump truck is used for non-commercial purposes and weighs fewer than 26,000 pounds. It should also not meet any of the Class C CMV purposes, which include:

  • Carrying hazardous materials that require placarding
  • Transporting 15 or more passengers

How Much is a CDL in Vermont?

A 2-year CDL costs $60, while you must spend $90 for one valid for four years.

However, you also have to pay for the following:

  • CDL written test: $32
  • Endorsement tests: $14 each
  • CDL permit fee: $15
  • ELDT: $1,000-5,000
  • CDL skills test scheduling fee receipt: $24 (this is minus from your CDL licensing fee)
  • CDL skills test: $32

So in total, you’ll have to spend around $1,153 to $5,183.

Do You Need a CDL to Drive an RV in Vermont?

You do NOT need a CDL to drive an RV in Vermont. A regular driver’s license will suffice.

Do You Need a CDL for Air Brakes in VT?

Unless your vehicle meets CMV requirements, you do not need a CDL to drive with air brakes. 

The Wrap Up

From CDL classes to endorsements to restrictions to requirements to steps…

That’s all the information you need about getting a commercial driver’s license in Vermont.

After going through all the Vermont CDL requirements, what else can you ask for?

Now all you have to do is work the steps. 

We’re sure you’ll get your Vermont CDL in no time.

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *