Oklahoma Driver’s License Classes – And How to Get Each One

Oklahoma Driver’s License Classes - And How to Get Each One

Class A CDL, Class B CDL, Class C CDL…

Class D License. 


Do these classes confuse you?

Are you not sure which one you need?

Well, we’re here to explain the different Oklahoma driver’s license classes to you. 

We’ll go over what vehicles each class operates, as well as how to get them. 

There’s a lot to cover, so let’s start right away!

Driver’s License Classes in Oklahoma

Okay, the big picture first. 

There are 6 driver’s license classes in Oklahoma. These are:

  • Class D
  • Class A CDL
  • Class B CDL
  • Class C CDL
  • L Endorsement 

Which one do you need? The section below has the answers!

Class D

When you hear the term “driver’s license”, that usually means a Class D license. It’s the most common class, also known as a standard driver’s license.   

Now, Class D is what you need to drive any vehicle that weighs below 26,000 pounds and doesn’t fit the Class C CDL description (we’ll talk about that later).

So, whether you have a truck, a pickup, an SUV, or a sedan, you’ll need to carry a Class D license to drive it.

Class A CDL

The Class A CDL is the highest commercial driver’s license. This means that it can operate the heaviest commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).

To be more specific, it can operate combination CMVs with a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. The unit it tows should exceed 10,000 pounds. 

So if you drive a semi, flatbed, or tractor-trailer, you’ll need this CDL. 

Another thing you should know. Since it is the highest CDL, you can also use it to operate lower CMVs. 

Class B CDL

A Class B CDL also operates heavy CMVs. However, this time, it should be a straight vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 pounds or more. 

If the CMV tows a unit, it should not weigh more than 10,000 pounds. 

So if you drive a large city bus, dump truck, or box van, you will need this CDL class. 

And yes, it can operate CMVs that are lower, too, but never higher. 

Class C CDL

Not all CMVs exceed 26,000 pounds. 

This is when a Class C CDL can suffice. 

But what is the difference between Class C CDL and Class D?

A Class C CDL is for vehicles with a specific purpose. These are:

  • Designed to carry 16 or more passengers (such as a school bus)
  • Transports large quantities of hazardous materials (such as a smaller tank truck) 

Since these are lower CMVs, it goes without saying that any towed unit should not exceed 10,000 pounds. 


To operate a motorcycle, you either need a motorcycle permit (for those above 14 years old but below 18 years old) or an ‘L’ endorsement added to your Class D license. 

How to Get a Class D License in Oklahoma

Since this is the standard license — and you have to have this to get a CDL anyway — let’s go over the steps for a Class D license first. 

Get a Learner’s Permit (mandatory for 15½- and 17-year-olds).

  1. Take a driver’s education course (mandatory for those below 16 years old only)
  1. Make an appointment to visit a Licensing Center.
  1. On your appointment, don’t forget to bring:
    1. A parent, legal guardian, or notarized parent authorization form (mandatory for those below 18 years old only). 
    2. Primary ID, Proof of SSN, and proof of Oklahoma residence
    3. Proof of driver’s ed enrollment or certificate of completion (mandatory for those below 16 years old).
  1. Pass the following tests:
    1. Vision screening
    2. Knowledge test 
NOTE: You can waive the knowledge test if you have a driver’s ed certificate of completion. 

This is why, even if it’s not mandatory for 16+ years old, it is still a good idea to take the course. 
  1. Pay the $42.50 permit fee using a credit card. If you want to pay with cash or money order, you need to go to a Licensed Operator and pay it there. 
  1. Get your learner’s permit at the facility where you made your payment.

Get an Intermediate License (for those 16-17 years old). 

  1. Hold your learner’s permit for 6 months or longer, and ensure you don’t get traffic convictions. If you didn’t complete driver’s ed, you need to wait until you’re 16½ years old. 
  1. Complete the required 50 supervised driving hours. Remember, 10 of these must be after sunset.
  1. Schedule your driving test using the DPS’s online platform or directly contacting a certified driving school.
  1. Present the following during your appointment:
    1. A valid learner’s permit
    2. Driver’s ed certificate of completion (if you attended)
    3. A notarized proof of completing 50 hours of supervised driving
    4. A vehicle to use for your driving test (don’t forget its registration and insurance papers)
  1. Pass the driving test.
  1. Pay the $25 licensing fee with a credit card. If not, you will have to pay the fee at a Licensed Operator center. 
  1. Receive your intermediate license from the facility where you paid.

Get a Class D License. 

  1. Have your intermediate license for 6 months (12 months if you didn’t take driver’s ed), while keeping a clean driving record.
  1. Schedule a visit to a Licensing Office.
  1. Present your intermediate license and pay the $25 licensing fee with a credit card. Again, you will need to go to a Licensed Operator if you want to pay with cash or money order. 
  1. Get a Class D driver’s license. 

Are you already 18+ years old and just starting for the first time? Do you need more information about the whole process?

Check out our full article on ‘How to Get A Driver’s License in Oklahoma’. 

How to Get a Class A, B, and C CDL in Oklahoma

Remember, you need a Class D license to get a CDL. 

But don’t worry – the process is the same no matter what CDL class you pick. 

So let’s go over these. 

Get a CDL Permit. 

  1. Use the DPS’ Inline Online system to schedule your CDL written test. 
  1. While there, submit the following:
    1. Your valid Class D license
    2. Primary ID and proof of Oklahoma residence
    3. DOT Medical Card (if applicable)
  1. Pass a vision screening and the CDL written exam(s). You will need to take a general knowledge test as well as any endorsement exams (if applicable) 
  1. Get a DL-18 certificate and present it at a Licensed Operator center. They will be the ones to issue your CDL permit. 
  1. Pay the application fee:
    1. Class A CDL – $25
    2. Class B and C CDL – $15
  1. Get your CDL permit. 

Get a Class A CDL, Class B CDL, or Class C CDL. 

  1. Hold your CDL permit for more than 14 days.
  1. Complete an Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) program from an FMCSA-accredited provider.
  1. Make a CDL skills test appointment by calling (405) 425 2196 OR contacting an approved third-party examiner directly.
  1. Bring your own commercial vehicle for your test. Remember, it must be in the same CDL class you indicated on your application.
  1. Present the following before starting your CDL skills test:
    1. Your valid Class D license
    2. Primary ID and proof of Oklahoma residence
    3. DOT Medical Card (if applicable)
    4. Your valid CDL permit
    5. Your DL-18 certificate 
  1. Pass the CDL skills test.
  1. Have your DL-18 certificate stamped and bring it to a Licensing Officer or Licensed Operator. 
  1. Pay the CDL fee:
    1. Class A and B CDL – $56.50 (4-year) OR $113 (8-year)
    2. Class C CDL – $46.50 (4-year) OR $93 (8-year)
  1. Get your official CDL class. 

Don’t know which endorsement you need? Want more information? 

We have all the details in our ‘How to Get A CDL in Oklahoma’ article.

How to Get a Motorcycle Endorsement in Oklahoma 

If you’re between 14 to 17 years old, you will need a motorcycle permit to operate a motorcycle. 

But if you’re already 18+ years old, you can simply add an ‘L’ endorsement to your Class D license. 

Let’s look at how to do both. 

Get a Motorcycle Permit (mandatory for 14- to 17-year-olds).

  1. Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course (mandatory for 14- and 17-year-olds only).
  1. Go to a Service Licensing Office. You can also schedule an appointment online
  1. Bring the following to your appointment:
    1. Proof of identity and Social Security Number
    2. Name change document (if applicable)
    3. Motorcycle Safety Foundation completion certificate (if applicable)
    4. A parent or legal guardian (if you’re below 18 years old)
  1. Pass the vision screening and (if you never held a license or permit) the Class D knowledge test. 
  1. Receive your motorcycle permit and hold it for at least 30 days.
  1. If you’re below 16 years old, don’t forget to follow these restrictions:
    1. You can only drive between 4:30 AM and 9 PM
    2. You must wear protective gear
    3. You must be supervised by an instructor who is at least 21 years old and has a motorcycle endorsement
    4. You cannot drive a motorcycle with a piston displacement exceeding 300 cc
    5. You cannot drive on a highway with a posted minimum speed limit
    6. You cannot go faster than 35 mph or the posted speed limit (if slower than 35 mph)
  1. After 30 days, schedule an appointment for your motorcycle road test at a driver license test site. Check if your chosen site offers this test before scheduling. 
  1. Pass the motorcycle road test.
  1. Get a motorcycle endorsement. 

Get an ‘L” Endorsement. 

  1. (OPTIONAL) Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.
  1. Schedule a motorcycle endorsement appointment.
  1. Bring the following:
    1. Proof of identity and SSN 
    2. Name change document (if applicable)
    3. Proof of motorcycle liability insurance 
    4. Motorcycle Safety Foundation certificate of completion (if applicable) 
  1. Pass a vision screening. 
  1. Pay the application fee of $4. 
  1. If you took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, you can get your ‘L’ endorsement right away. The certificate of completion can waive both the written and skills test. 
  1. If not, you need to pass the motorcycle written test and (if you never held a license or permit before) the Class D knowledge test. 
  1. Again, if you didn’t take the motorcycle course, you will also need to pass a motorcycle road test. 
  1. Receive your motorcycle endorsement. 

The Wrap Up


That was a lot! 

But now you know all the Oklahoma driver’s license classes – and how to get each one. 

So go ahead and check which class you need. From there, work on the steps to getting it. 

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *