An auto insurance policy is an agreement between the vehicle insurer and vehicle owner. The company responsible for insuring your car takes charge in the event of an incident and the insured promises to pay premium as long as the agreement lasts. What the insured pays to the insurance company is called premium and is used in compensation.
There are different auto insurance covers. Auto liability cover is the most common auto insurance cover. It pays for the damage caused by accidentally injuring someone or damaging another car/property in the event of an accident. There being so many auto insurance companies, it is quite hard to sift the wheat from the chaff when picking an auto insurer. That said, you have to understand that getting an insurance policy is a two phased process. This is because you have to decide on your insurance needs as well as whom to make your insurance provider.
Get Your Driving Record By Name & Address
- OR -
Get Your Driving Record By License Plate #
Phase 1-Insurance provisions
These are the provisions you should look out for in an insurance company.
- Accident forgiveness – this is a policy that prevents your premium rate from increasing after an accident even if it was your fault. The company simply forgives the driver and takes care of the damage.
- Road-side assistance – Is the company capable of saving you even if your car broke down in the middle of he road?
- Deductible – this is the amount of money you and the company agree to pay in the event of an accident. You pay some, and the rest is paid by the insurance company.
- Medical coverage – this is the amount of money the company agrees to pay for your medical bill in case you are injured in an accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage – in this feature, the company agrees to pay for you and the other passengers involved in the accident. It considers the fact that the motorist had insufficient funds or was not insured at all.
- Comprehensive coverage – this is the best coverage for any driver looking for protection. This is because an insurance company provides payment for damage other than collision. This might be fire, theft, storm or hurricane.
Phase 2-insurance provider
The availability of many insurance companies makes it both intimidating and costly to choose the most suitable insurance for your car. This is because if you blindly choose an insurance company, you will have yourself to blame if your needs are no met. You have to understand what the best company for your car is. Below are tips of choosing the best auto insurance company.
- Reliability-this is the first thing to consider in any insurance company. Is the company reliable? If yes, it should have a good reputation in settling claims; this refers to the time taken to settle and pay them off.
- What shops are available for accreditation- the next step is to check out what shops they have in your area. It is from these shops that you could ask about the insurance company and make your judgment from their feedback. If it is positive, then you can rest assured you are dealing with a good insurance company.
- Analyze the different insurance policies provided- this determines what policy you need and whether the company has it or not.
- Premium costs-this means getting the most affordable premium for your vehicle. This way, you will have chosen the correct auto insurance company to insure your vehicle.
- Are there any complaints- this is another factor to consider when looking for an insurance company. Consider paying attention to the number of complaints raised against the company versus those it has settled. If the complaints are more than what it has settled, this means the company is not reliable at all.
Where can you purchase auto insurance?
Now that you know what to look for in an insurance company, the next step is to purchase the auto insurance. You can buy your auto insurance from:
- Licensed insurance broker
- Insurance agent
- A licensed direct auto insurance writer
Ways of saving money on your auto insurance
To ensure that your premium rate is not increased, it is important to take precautions that control damages. This includes:
- Limiting the number of drivers driving you car
- Dealing with a named driver only
- Restricting drivers of less than 30 years of age.
With the above information, you can now confidently decide on the most suitable auto insurance for your car. You will not only be able to save the extra expenses that come with increased premium rates, but also enjoy the myriad of benefits that come with different auto insurance companies.