Alaska Driver’s License Types – A Complete 2022 Guide

Alaska Driver's License Types - A Complete Guide

Not familiar with the Alaska driver’s license types?

Want to know what class you need to drive a commercial truck?

Or what about your private vehicle?

You’ll find all the answers here. 

In this complete 2022 guide, we’ll describe in detail each of the license classifications, as well as how to get them. 

There’s a lot to cover, so let’s get started right away!

What are the Driver’s License Classifications in Alaska? 

In Alaska, there are 7 license types, namely:

  • Class A
  • Class B
  • Class C
  • Class D
  • Class M1
  • Class M2
  • Class M3

Let’s see what each license allows you to operate. 

Class A

In Alaska, a Class A driver’s license allows you to drive commercial, combination vehicles with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 26,001 pounds or more. 

These vehicles also usually come with a towed unit that can weigh up to 10,001 pounds or more. 

Class A vehicle types include trucks and trailers, usually used together. 

Class B

A Class B driver’s license is also for commercial vehicles. The difference, however, is that Class B is for single vehicles such as motor coaches, dump trucks, and box trucks. 

Straight vehicles in this category usually have a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more but don’t come with towed units. However, if it does, then the towed unit should be less than 10,000 pounds. 

Class C

This is the last type of commercial license. It is generally provided for buses or small trucks with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less.

Alternatively, it’s also the license type for vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers, as well as transport hazardous materials. 

Class D

This is the most common license type. With this, you can operate private vehicles that have a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less. 

Aside from that, Class D licenses can operate recreational vehicles, mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles with 50cc or less. 

Lastly, there’s an off-highway Class D license, a specialized license for drivers living in remote rural areas.

Class M1

A Class M1 license type allows you to drive any motorcycle with an engine displacement of 50cc.

Class M2

This one is meant only for 14 to 15-year-olds and allows for the operation of motor-driven cycles like scooters or motorized bicycles, as long as it has an engine displacement of less than 50cc. 

Class M3 

Last is the M3 license type, which is for operating any 3-wheeled motorcycle with an engine displacement of over 50cc. 

How to Get a Class D License in Alaska

If you’re planning to drive your usual, everyday car to get to school, work, or anywhere else, you need to get this type of license.

If you are below 18 years old, you have to go through the full Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program. Click here for the complete GDL process in Alaska. 

But, if you’re already 18 years old, you can go straight to getting this license.

To do that:

  • Visit your local DMV office
  • Submit your completed Form D1
  • Provide proof of identification, Social Security Number, proof of residency, proof of name change (if applicable
  • Pass the vision test
  • Pass the written knowledge test
  • Pass the Alcohol and Drug Awareness test (if over 21 years old)
  • Pass the road test
  • Pay the license fee of $20 for standard or $40 for real ID. 

For the road test, you can either bring a vehicle with proper registration and proof of insurance or take it at a DMV-authorized third-party institution. 

How to Get a Class A, B, C License in Alaska

If you’re looking at a profession where you’ll be operating commercial vehicles, you need to apply for either a Class A, Class B, or Class C license. Of course, this depends on what you’ll be driving.  

To apply for a commercial driver’s license, you need: 

  • A valid Class D driver’s license 
  • U.S. citizenship or proof of legal presence 
  • Proof of residence
  • Social Security Number
  • A DOT medical card and FMCSA vision document 

Once you submit those, you will then need to identify the type and purpose of the vehicle you will be operating. This will be determined in the class and the endorsement. 

To get an endorsement, you first need to pass a knowledge test about the field you’ll be driving for. Examples of endorsements include:

  • Passenger
  • Tank vehicles
  • Hazardous materials 
  • School bus 
  • Double/triple

Once you get your endorsement, get your CLP (Commercial Learner’s Permit) and practice with a qualified instructor within 14 days. 

After that, you have to take a road test. 

If you pass, then you’ll be handed your Class A, B, or C license, depending on what you chose. 

Note: keep in mind that for a CDL, you will need to schedule and pass all your tests within 180 days.

How to Get a Class M1, M2, M3 License in Alaska

Last but not least are the license types you will need to operate motorcycles in Alaska.

Remember, if you already have a Class D driver’s license, you can already operate motorcycles with an engine of less than 50cc. 

Otherwise, you will need these requirements: 

  • Completed Form D1
  • Completed Form 433M (if under 18 years old)
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Identity 
  • Proof of Residence

After submitting these, you will need to pass a road test, vision test, motorcycle knowledge test, and a written knowledge test. 


And there you have it.

Those were all the driver’s license types in Alaska. 

To give you a quick recap:

  • Class A licenses are for commercial purposes. It can operate combination vehicles of 26,001 pounds or more, and tow 10,001 pounds and more. 
  • Class B license is also a commercial driver’s license. The difference is that it’s for single/straight vehicles that weigh 26,001 pounds or more and should tow LESS than 10,000 pounds. 
  • Class C is the last commercial driver’s license. It can operate vehicles with less than 26,000 pounds, carry 16 passengers, or transport hazardous materials. 
  • Class D is your everyday driver’s license that you use to go to school, work, or anywhere else with your private vehicle
  • Class M1 operates motorcycles with an engine of 50cc.  
  • Class M2 is for teenagers between 14-15 to use motorized scooters and/or bicycles on the road
  • Class M3 allows you to operate motorcycles with an engine of over 50cc. 

So, before you get a driver’s license, make sure to determine the class you need. From there, follow the steps to acquire that type of Alaska driver’s license. 

We hope that this article has been a great help!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *