Nevada Driver’s License Types (A Complete Guide)

Nevada Driver’s License Types (A Complete Guide)

What are the types of driver’s licenses in Nevada?

What vehicle can each type operate?

How do you obtain each one?

We’re going to answer these questions in detail. 

So whether you want to get a standard license or CDL, we have the information you need here. 

Welcome to your complete guide to Nevada driver’s license types. 

Driver’s License Types in Nevada

In Nevada, there are only 4 types of driver’s licenses. These are: 

  • Class C
  • Class A CDL
  • Class B CDL
  • Class M

The type you need depends on what vehicle you plan on operating. So let’s take a close look at each one. 

Class C

Class C is the credential you need if you drive a car, SUV, pickup, or moped. In other words, it’s your standard driver’s license. 

If you want specifics, it can operate vehicles weighing fewer than 26,000 pounds, and tow units fewer than 10,000 pounds and shorter than 70 feet.

NOTE: If you want to tow a unit that is longer than 70 feet, you need to get a J endorsement on your driver’s license. 

Class A CDL

A Class A CDL is for commercial vehicles with a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of more than 26,001 pounds. These are combination vehicles that tow a unit weighing more than 10,000 pounds.

Class B CDL

The other commercial driver’s license is Class B. You’ll need it to drive straight, heavy vehicles that have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of over 26,001 pounds. However, if it tows a unit, it must weigh fewer than 10,000 pounds.

Examples of these vehicles are large city buses, dump trucks, or box vans.

Class M 

The Class M license is for those who ride a motorcycle. 

And now that we’ve covered the different types of driver’s licenses in Nevada — let’s explore how to get each.

How to Get A Class C License in Nevada

Since Class C is the most common driver’s license, let’s begin with that.

No matter how old you are, you will need to go through 2 stages. These are: 

  • Your instruction permit
  • Your full license

Depending on whether you are a minor or not, the requirements and steps are slightly different. 

How to Get A Nevada Instruction Permit 

If you are at least 15½ years old, you can start working on your instruction permit. 

Here is what you need to do:

  1. Download a copy of the Application for Driving Privileges and ID Card form. It’s best to fill it out before going to a DMV office to save time.
  1. Make an online knowledge test appointment if you visit DMV offices in Carson City, Henderson, Las Vegas, and Reno. You can walk in for all the other branches.

NOTE: Click here to see all DMV branches in Nevada.

  1. Gather the following documents:
    1. Proof of identity
    2. Proof of a valid Social Security Number 
    3. Proof of your residence in Nevada
    4. For minors, a completed Certificate of Attendance to prove you meet Nevada’s minimum school requirements.

NOTE: Not sure what documents you can use? Click here to find out!

  1. On your visit to the DMV, do the following:
    1. For minors, bring a parent or legal guardian and have them sign the second page of the application form in the presence of a DMV employee 
    2. Submit all the required documents and application form 
    3. Pass a vision screening
    4. Take and pass the knowledge exam.
  1. Pay the appropriate fees:
    1. Knowledge test – $25
    2. Permit fee – $22.25 
    3. Knowledge retest – $10 each 
  1. Receive your instruction permit.

Aside from a few extra documents to bring, getting an instruction permit is the same for minors and adults. 

How to Get A Nevada Driver’s License 

When it comes to getting your full Class C driver’s license, it’s a bit different for minors and adults. 

Let’s look at this:

  1. For minors, you must hold your instruction permit for at least 6 months. 
  1. For minors, you must complete an approved driver’s education. In Nevada, you have three options for this requirement:
    1. Complete in-person driver’s education through an approved driving school and earn 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience


  1. Take a state-approved online driver’s ed course and earn 50 hours of behind-the-wheel experience


  1. Accumulate 100 hours of behind-the-wheel experience

NOTE: Option 3 is only available to applicants who live in areas with no option for driver’s ed within a 30-mile radius and no access to the internet.

  1. Schedule your driving test through the DMV’s online portal or by calling:
    1. Las Vegas area: (702) 486-4368
    2. Reno/Sparks/Carson City areas: (775) 684-4368 
    3. Everywhere else in Nevada: (877) 368-7828
  1. On your schedule, don’t forget to bring these:
    1. Your valid instruction permit
    2. Proofs of identity, Social Security Number, and residency
    3. The car you intend to use for your driving test (no rentals allowed)
    4. The car’s registration and insurance 
    5. For minors, a filled-out DLD 130 form (Beginning Driver Experience Log)
    6. For minors, your Certificate of Completion from driver’s ed
  1. For minors, bring a parent or legal guardian and let them consent to shoulder any financial responsibility if you cause an accident.
  1. Pass the driving test.
  1. Pay the fees:
    1. Driving test – $25
    2. License fee for minors – $22. 25
    3. License fee for adults – $41.25
  1. Receive your temporary license while you wait for your official license to arrive in the mail. 

If you are an adult, you will have full driving privileges right away. 

However, if you are still a minor, your Class C driver’s license will still have restrictions. Once you turn 18 years old, the restrictions will be removed. 

If you want a more detailed guide, check out our “Nevada Driver’s License Requirements” article here. 

How to Get A Class A and B CDL in Nevada

Like your Class C license, you need to undergo 2 stages to get a CDL: 

  • Getting your CDL permit 
  • Getting your CDL

Fortunately, the steps are the same whether you’re applying for a Class A or Class B CDL. So let’s look into it. 

How to Get A Nevada CDL Permit

First off, you need to ensure you comply with the following before starting your application:

  • Determine which CDL class you need. 
  • Determine if you should add endorsements to your CDL
  • Meet the age requirement:
    • At least 18 to drive intrastate
    • At least 21 to drive interstate
    • At least 25 to operate a combination vehicle longer than 70 feet
  • Be a U.S. citizen or legal alien
  • Be a resident of Nevada
  • Hold only one driver’s license 
  • Hold an active driver’s license with full driving privileges 
  • Comply with the FMCSA’s health standards

Once you’ve settled that, here are the steps to take:

  1. Visit a DMV office.

NOTE: You have to walk in at rural branches but can make an online appointment for offices in Las Vegas, Carson City, Reno, and Henderson.

  1. Present the following:
    1. Proof of identity and Nevada residence. Click here for accepted documents. 
    2. Your valid Nevada-issued Class C driver’s license
    3. A completed Application for Commercial Driving Privileges form 
    4. A valid Medical Examiner Certificate (if necessary)
  1. Pass the vision test and all required knowledge exams.
  1. Pay the necessary fees:
    1. Permit fee – $57.25
    2. Endorsement fee (if any) – $14 each (plus a $3.25 photo fee)
  1. Get your CDL permit. 

How to Get A Nevada CDL

Once you’ve carried your CDL permit for 14 days, it’s time to move to stage 2. 

Here are the steps: 

  1. Complete an FMCSA-approved Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT).

NOTE: You can start the course before getting a CDL permit. However, you must finish the whole training before scheduling a skills test. 

  1. Make an appointment for your CDL skills test through the DMV’s online portal.
  1. Don’t forget to bring the following on your scheduled date:
    1. Your valid CLP
    2. The CMV you’ll be using for your skills test.
    3. Proof of your vehicle’s registration and insurance
    4. A pointer for vehicle inspection 

NOTE: Inform the DMV in advance if you’re renting a CMV for your skills test so they can send you a list of requirements.

  1. Pass all three parts of the CDL skills test.
  1. Pay the $141.25 licensing fee.
  1. Get your CDL. 

For even more information, check out “Nevada CDL Requirements”.

How to Get a Class M License in Nevada

You guessed it right! To get a Class M license, you first need a permit. 

However, this is only for those who are below 18 years old. 

NOTE: Applicants 18 or older do not need to get an instruction permit. They can also waive the written and skills test if they complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation-approved Basic Rider Course.

Let’s go over the steps: 

  1. Visit one of the DMV offices in Nevada.

NOTE: You can make an online appointment for Las Vegas, Reno, Henderson, and Carson City. All other offices accept walk-ins.

  1. Present the following documents when you go:
    1. A completed application form. NOTE: Your parent or guardian must sign the second page at the DMV office with one of their employees as a witness.
    2. A completed Certificate of School Attendance
    3. Proof of identity
    4. Proof of a valid Social Security Number 
    5. Proof of your residence in Nevada

NOTE: Click on this link if you’re unsure what documents to use. 

  1. Pass the following tests:
    1. A vision screening
    2. The knowledge exam

NOTE: If you don’t have a Class C license, you must take the Class M and the Class C knowledge exams.

  1. Pay the required fees:
    1. Permit fee: $22.50
    2. Initial knowledge and skills test: $25
    3. Retest: $10 for each
  1. Receive your instruction permit and hold it for at least 6 months.
  1. Complete 50 hours of supervised driving. The person supervising you must meet the following criteria:
    1. Must already have a valid Class M license
    2. Must be at least 21 years old and has at least one year of driving experience
    3. Is riding on a motorcycle while supervising you
  1. Take a Basic Rider Course from MSF.

NOTE: The MSF only conducts the program in three sites. If these are more than a 30-mile radius of your residence, you can add 50 hours of driving supervised experience to complete this requirement.

  1. Schedule your motorcycle skills test by using the online system or calling the following numbers:
    1. Las Vegas area: (702) 486-4368
    2. Reno/Sparks/Carson City: (775) 684-4368
  1. Pass the motorcycle skills test.
  1. Get your Class M License.

The Wrap Up

And there you have it — all the essential information about Nevada driver’s license types. 

Now you know which class you need and how to get it. 

So what are you waiting for?

Go ahead and start working on it today.

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *