8 years can fly by.
The next thing you know, it’s time to renew your GA driver’s license.
The problem is…
You don’t know how or where to renew your license.
That ends today.
Here, we’re going to give you a complete guide on how to renew your driver’s license in Georgia. We’ll show you all the ways you can renew, plus all the steps.
And, we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about license renewal in the state.
So let’s get started right away!
Georgia Driver’s License Renewal
Compared to getting your GA driver’s license, renewing it is a breeze.
In Georgia, you have 4 channels to renew your driver’s license:
- DDS 2 GO Mobile App
Let’s dive into the different channels, so you’ll know the necessary steps for each.
How to Renew My Driver’s License Online in Georgia
One of the most efficient ways to renew your license is to do it online. Imagine — completing the entire process without leaving your home.
However, not everyone is eligible for online renewal.
Here is a checklist to see if you are eligible:
- You must have a valid REAL ID license (which has a gold or black star printed in the upper right corner)
- You are at least 18 years old
- You must live in Georgia
- You must be a U.S. Citizen
If you checked all the boxes, you’re good to go. If not, you’ll have to visit a DDS center.
Now, here are the steps to renewing your driver’s license online in Georgia:
- Go to the DDS Online Services portal.
NOTE: Georgia’s Department of Driver Services upgraded its system on January 19, 2021. If this is the first time you’ve attempted to log in since then, you will have to recreate your online account.
If you don’t have an online account, don’t worry — you can create one easily.
- Follow the prompts and pay the renewal fee of $32 using a debit or credit card.
NOTE: You may qualify for a $5 discount if you renew online.
- Wait for around 45 days to receive your new license via mail. In the meantime, you can print a temporary paper license from your DDS Online Services Account.
How easy was that?
How to Renew My Driver’s License Through the DDS 2 GO Mobile App in Georgia
If you’re eligible to renew online, it becomes even easier using the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
You simply need to:
- Download the app from iTunes or Google Play.
- Log in using the same credentials as your online account.
- Follow all the prompts and pay the renewal fee of $32.
NOTE: Like online renewals, completing the process through the app may qualify you for a $5 discount.
How to Renew My Driver’s License In-Person in Georgia
Say you’re not eligible for online renewal.
Or what if you don’t have easy access to the internet?
If so, then it’s best to renew in a DDS service center.
Here’s what to do:
- Complete the online License/ID/Permit form. All DDS center visitors must submit this form.
- Prepare the necessary documents. Different situations call for varying paperwork. See which ones apply to you:
- If you have a Georgia REAL ID License, it’s the only thing you need. The only exception is if you need to change your name, gender, or any other service that requires you to verify your identity. Then you’ll have to bring all the supporting documents.
- If you don’t have a Georgia REAL ID License, you need to present the following:
- Proof of identity, such as a passport or a birth certificate
NOTE: For non-citizens, besides proof of identity, you also need to show proof of lawful status
- Social Security Number
- Proof of residency (you need two documents)
- Go to a DDS Service Center and submit all the documents.
- Pass the following tests if your license expired more than 2 years ago:
- Written knowledge test
- Road skills test
- Vision test
- Have your photo taken
- Pay the $32 license fee.
NOTE: DDS service centers accept cash and debit or credit cards. These include American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discovery. However, you cannot pay using personal or cashier’s checks or money orders.
After that, the DDS issues an interim driver’s license. Your permanent license will arrive through the mail, so make sure your address is up to date in the DDS’s system.
How to Renew My Driver’s License By Mail in Georgia
Like online renewals, not everyone qualifies for mail-in renewal.
You’re only eligible if:
- You’re in the military and stationed outside of Georgia.
- You are attending school outside of Georgia (only valid for one renewal)
- You’re working in another state (only valid for one renewal)
- You’re a dependent of someone who fits any of the first three bullets and is currently residing with them.
- You have a physical disability that prevents you from visiting a center (expect that you will be issued a Georgia ID card only)
- You’re 64 or older and cannot visit a DDS center (our section on senior drivers expounds on this)
And here are the steps to renewing your driver’s license through the mail in Georgia:
- Read through the Mail-In Renewal Packet. It details the necessary documents, depending on your situation. All the forms you need to fill out are in the packet.
- Mail the completed package and your payment of $32 to this address:
DDS Special Issuance
2206 Eastview Parkway
Conyers, GA 30013
NOTE: Checks and money orders must be payable to DDS. If you’re paying using a credit card, send back a completed Credit Card Authorization Form (which is also part of the packet).
Renewing through the mail may take longer than other channels. Because of this, it’s best to submit your completed package at least 60 days before your license’s expiration date.
License Renewal for Senior Drivers in Georgia
Drivers 64 or older have an additional requirement — they must take a vision screening test each time they renew their license. However, you can still renew online, in person, or through the mail.
The process for in-person and mail-in renewals is the same for seniors. You can take the vision screening at the DDS center. The Mail-In Renewal Packet includes the necessary vision test form.
However, if you are renewing online, there are additional steps:
- Log in to your account and follow the prompts.
- Complete and upload a Vision Report Form (DDS-MR-274). Results of a vision exam can also fulfill this.
NOTE: Ensure that either document is dated within the last 2 years, completed by a licensed ophthalmologist or optometrist, and includes Visual Acuity Degrees, Horizontal Perception Degrees, or Monocular Field of Vision.
- Expect an email indicating if your form was approved, denied, or incomplete. Your next steps are as follows:
- Approved — continue with the online renewal process
- Denied — visit a DDS center to complete your renewal
- Incomplete — review, complete, and resubmit your Vision Report Form
- After getting approval, pay the renewal fee and print out your temporary license. Your new one will arrive through the mail in around 45 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
As promised, let’s answer some of the most frequently asked questions about driver’s license renewal in Georgia.
When does my driver’s license expire in Georgia?
Your GA driver’s license remains valid for 8 years. For the specific date, check your driver’s license card.
Do I need an appointment to renew my driver’s license in Georgia?
You don’t need to book an appointment when renewing your license, even if you decide to do it in person. You only need one if you’re scheduling a road test.
However, you must complete an online form before visiting a DDS service center.
When can I renew my Georgia driver’s license?
You don’t have to wait until the last minute to renew your license. Drivers in Georgia can go through the renewal process as early as 150 days before their license’s expiration date.
Is there a grace period for expired driver’s licenses in Georgia?
A grace period can refer to one of two things.
If you’re asking whether there’s an allowable period wherein you can drive with an expired license, the answer is no. You may be convicted of a misdemeanor and face penalties of jail time (up to a year) and fines (up to $1,000) if a police officer pulls you over.
However, if you’re wondering whether you can still renew your license after its expiration date has passed, the answer is yes.
Drivers in Georgia have up to two years to renew their license from its expiry date. Otherwise, you’ll have to retake and pass the following tests:
- Vision test
- Knowledge exam (covering road signs and road rules)
- Road test
The Wrap Up
There you have it! That’s everything you need to know about how to renew your driver’s license in Georgia.
So how do you want to renew your GA driver’s license?
For the most convenience, you can renew it online or through the DDS 2 Go app. Just make sure you are eligible.
If not, then the best thing to do is go to a DDS service center.
If you are out of state, then you have the opportunity to renew through the mail.
What are you waiting for?
Pick a channel today and get renewing before it’s too late!