How to Get A Minnesota Driving Record (A Complete Guide)

How to Get A Minnesota Driving Record (A Complete Guide)

At some point, you will need to get ahold of your Minnesota driving record. 

Now, whether that’s to present it to your auto insurance company or see how many violations you’ve committed, that depends. 

But the biggest question on your mind is…

How do I get my Minnesota driving record? 

We’re here to help. 

In this article, we’re going to give you a complete guide on how to get a Minnesota driving record. On top of that, we’re going to show you ways to improve your driving record if it isn’t ideal, as well as help you understand the violations. 

So are you ready?

Let’s dive right in!

Types of Driving Records in Minnesota

Let’s start with the types of driving records available in Minnesota. There are only two:

  • A non-certified copy that shows your driving convictions for the last five years
  • A certified copy that provides your complete driving history

Although there are only two kinds of driving records, you can get four types of requests from the Minnesota DPS’s Driver and Services Division. Which one you get depends on how you’re using it.

Government Access

As its name implies, these are for government agencies that may need to secure a copy of your driving record, such as agencies for law enforcement or courts. They can typically access DVS computer records using the criminal justice computer network.

Commercial Inquiry

Commercial agencies may need to obtain a copy of your driving record but must sign a legal access agreement to do so. They may face civil and criminal repercussions if they inappropriately use your personal information.

Individual Inquiry

Drivers who want to know what’s on their driving record may make this type of inquiry. You may also use it to secure a copy of someone else’s history.

However, authorized personnel may also make this inquiry from the DVS. These include the following:

  • Employers
  • Insurance agencies
  • Investigators
  • Courts (whether local, state, or federal)

Crash Record Request

This type of request is specifically for individuals involved in a collision, whether they were the driver, passenger, pedestrian, or owner of the damaged property or the vehicle in the crash.

There are two kinds of crash reports:

  • Citizen report — you can only get this if you were the one who submitted it.
  • Police report — you can get this even if you didn’t submit it but are involved in the crash in some capacity. It costs $5 and is available three weeks after the crash.

How to Get My Driving Record in Minnesota

Now that you know the different driving record types in Minnesota, it’s time to get into the gist of it. 

Officially, there are only two ways to get copies of your driving record in Minnesota:

  • In-person
  • By mail

However, you may run across some third-party services that can provide you with copies online. Although you can use them, remember that you won’t receive certified histories.

Also, for the third-party services, the steps to getting your driving record will vary per provider. 

But if you want it to be official, let’s focus on how to get it in person and by mail. 

How to Get A Minnesota Driving Record In Person

If you need your driving record immediately, opting to get it in person will be your best move. 

Here are the steps:

  1. Download a fillable copy of the DVS Record Request Form and complete sections A and C.
  1. Check out the most convenient DVS office in your area. It’s best to check out their office hours, whether they have any special instructions for some transactions, and what modes of payment they accept. 
  1. Submit the request form and proof of identity.
  1. Pay the appropriate fee at the DVS office:
    1. Non-certified copy: $9
    2. Certified copy: $10
  1. Receive your driving record.

As easy as that.

How to Get A Minnesota Driving Record by Mail

Don’t worry if you’ve got a full schedule. You can get your Minnesota driving record by mail if you can’t visit a DVS office.

To do that, you must:

  1. Download the DVS Record Request Form and fill out the necessary sections.
  1. Enclose a check or money order payable to Driver and Vehicle Services. Remember that the fee varies depending on the type of record you need:
    1. Certified: $10
    2. Non-certified: $9
  1. Put everything in an envelope and send it to the address below:

Driver and Vehicle Services Records 

Unit 445 Minnesota St., Suite 161 

St. Paul, MN 55101-5161

  1. Wait for your driving record to arrive via mail.

Remember that requesting your driving record through the mail takes longer. You should consider when you need it before using this method.

But if you’re not in a rush, then it will be better as you no longer need to wait at a DVS office.  

How to Get Someone Else’s Driving Record in Minnesota

You can use the same methods if you request someone else’s driving record. However, you must include present written consent from the owner with the DSV Record Request form.

You need to also fill out Section D of the form. It’s where you declare why you need to obtain the owner’s driving record. 

One more thing. The fee for someone else’s driving history is slightly more expensive:

  • Non-certified: $9.50
  • Certified: $10.50

How to Improve Your Minnesota Driving Record

Say, you see that you’ve accumulated a lot of violations on your driving record. And you want to improve it. 

Now, when it comes to improving your driving record, it’s a good-news-bad-news kind of thing.

The bad news — once a violation is on your record, there’s nothing you can do to take it off. 

The good news — there are ways to prevent your driving history from worsening. 

Here are some steps you can take:

  • Attend a defensive driving course. It won’t erase any existing conviction, but it might save you from having a new one added to your record. If your court doesn’t allow it, it may still qualify you for an insurance discount.
  • Don’t drive under the influence. A DUI automatically results in license revocation. Even if you don’t get caught, imagine the danger you and your passengers are in if you get behind the wheel.
  • Review Minnesota’s road rules. Severe traffic violations aren’t the only things you must watch out for — minor incidents can also cause you to lose your privileges, especially if you’re a repeat offender.
  • Be prepared to be behind the wheel. You must be in the right state before joining other drivers on the road. It means being in the right state physically, emotionally, and mentally.
  • Check your record regularly. It’s best to request your driving history periodically to ensure its accuracy. If you spot any errors, be sure to contact the DVS to get your record corrected.

Understanding the Moving Violations in Minnesota

Minnesota might not follow a point system, but the DVS keeps track of your moving violations. You might face a license suspension or revocation if you accumulate too many.

The following typically lead to a license suspension:

  • Being a repeat offender, even of minor traffic violations
  • Failing to appear in court for your hearing
  • Committing a suspension-worthy offense in another state
  • Causing a fatality because of a traffic violation
  • Committing a traffic violation that results in a misdemeanor

However, some offenses automatically lead to license revocation. These include:

  • Driving under the influence
  • Driving beyond 100mph
  • Driving uninsured

The Wrap Up

Need to get hold of your Minnesota driving record?

Then you can easily do so at a DVS office. Here, you can get access to your record right away. 

Don’t have time to go to the office? Then thankfully, you can request for your Minnesota driving record by mail, too. That said, it does take a while to reach you. 

Want complete convenience? You can find third-party services that offer online Minnesota driving records. Just remember that it won’t be official or certified. 

And when you get hold of your driving record, it’s a good idea to take the necessary steps to improve it. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *