Georgia Driver’s License Classes (A Complete Guide)

Georgia Driver's License Classes (A Complete Guide)

Which driver’s license class do you need in Georgia?

Let’s find out in this article. 

Here, we’re going to show you all the types of license classes in the state. We’ll also tell you what you can operate with each class, as well as how to get each license. 

So let’s get started right away! 

What are the Driver’s License Classes in Georgia?

Here is a list of all the driver’s license classes in Georgia:

  • Commercial Class A
  • Commercial Class B
  • Commercial Class C 
  • Non-Commercial Class C
  • Class CP (Instructional Permit)
  • Class D (Provisional License)
  • Class M (Motorcycle)
  • Class MP (Motorcycle Permit)

It’s a handful, right? 

Don’t worry — we’ll talk about each one in detail. 

Commercial Class A

A Commercial Class A license can operate combination vehicles that have a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of at least 26,0001 pounds. The vehicle that it tow should have a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds. 

Since this is the highest CDL, anyone holding a Commercial Class A license can also operate Class B and C vehicles. 

Commercial Class B

This license operates single vehicles with a GVWR of 20,001 pounds or more. If it tows another vehicle, the towed unit should be fewer than 10,000 pounds. 

As you can see, it is different from Commercial Class A from the weight of the towed unit. 

Anyone holding a Commercial Class B license can also operate Class C vehicles. However, it can’t operate Class A vehicles. 

Commercial Class C

This license allows you to operate single or combination vehicles that have a GVWR of not more than 26,000 pounds. 

It also allows you to drive vehicles designed to carry hazardous materials or 16 or more passengers (including the driver). 

Non-Commercial Class C

The difference between Commercial and Non-Commercial Class C is that the latter is for personal use only. 

This license can operate vehicles that have a GVWR of fewer than 26,000 pounds plus vehicles that can carry 16 passengers. Note, however, that it CAN’T be used for hazardous materials. 

Class CP (Instructional Permit)

This class is more of a permit than an official license. And as permits go, these are only given to those learning how to drive. 

The Class CP is given to 15 to 17-year-old drivers, while the commercial learner’s permit (CLP) is given to aspiring commercial drivers 18 years old and above. 

In both cases, these permit holders should be accompanied by a license holder above 21 years old. 

Class D (Provisional License)

A Class D license comes after the Class CP. This license implements some restrictions while the holder is not yet 18 years old. 

Here are the restrictions:

  • Cannot drive or operate any vehicle from midnight to 5:00 AM
  • Only allowed to drive members of your immediate family in the first 6 months of issuance
  • Only allowed to drive one passenger below 21 years old that is not an immediate family member in the second 6-month period
  • Allowed to drive 3 passengers below 21 years old that are not part of the immediate family after 1 year of issuance

Once the holder turns 18 years old, the Class D license can be upgraded to a Class C license. 

Class M (Motorcycle)

Class M is a license specifically for drivers of motorcycles or motor-driven cycles. You don’t need to get any other license if you’re only operating these. 

However, if you plan to drive a, say, Class C vehicle AND a motorcycle, then you need to get a Class M endorsement to your Class C license. 

Class MP (Motorcycle Permit) 

Like the Class CP permit, a Class MP permit is the learner’s permit for motorcycles or motor-driven cycles. This permit is given to drivers 16-17 years old who have completed their driver’s education. 

If you are 18 years old and above, you will still be required to get a Class MP permit, but you don’t need to take driver’s education. 

A catch if you’re holding a Class MP permit is that you can’t have anyone riding with you on a motorcycle. 

How to Get A Non-Commercial Class C License in Georgia

The Non-Commercial Class C license is the most popular. I mean, it’s the one you need to operate your private vehicle. 

Now, the State of Georgia has a Teenager & Adult Driver Responsibility ACT (TARDA). This lets you go through 3 stages, namely:

  • Class CP
  • Class D
  • Class C (Non-Commercial) 

Here are the steps to getting your Class CP at 15 to 17 years old:

Here are the steps to upgrade your Class CP to a Class D license in Georgia:

  • Hold your Class CP for 1 year and 1 day
  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Do not have any major traffic violations
  • Complete the required driver’s ed. This includes 30 hours of driver’s ed instruction and 40 hours of behind-the-wheel training. 
  • Schedule a road test
  • Complete the required Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program (ADAP)
  • Go to a DDS Service Center and submit:
    • Proof of identity
    • 2 proofs of Georgia residence
    • Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status
    • ADAP certificate of completion
    • Proof of school enrollment or its equivalent
    • Your driver’s ed certification of completion
    • Completed online form in the DDS Online Service portal. Remember, you must bring a copy of the form and have your parent/guardian/driving instructor sign it in front of a DDS representative. 
    • Vehicle documents (insurance card, vehicle registration, bill of sale, etc.)
  • Take and pass a vision exam
  • Take and pass the road test
  • Have your photo taken
  • Pay the license fee of $10

From there, you can upgrade your Class D license to a Class license once you turn 18 years old. You need to pay the license fee of $32 when you upgrade. 

Click here to upgrade your Class D license to a Class C online. 

How to Get A Commercial Class A, B, and C License in Georgia

Although there are 3 commercial license classes, the process of getting each one is very similar. The main difference is the written exam you take, as well as added endorsement exams. 

The first step to getting your CDL is to get a CLP. Here are the steps:

Once you have held your CLP for 14 days, you can get your CDL. Here are the steps:

  • Complete the required Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) 
  • Submit the required online License/ID/Permit form
  • Schedule a road test and pay the testing fee of $50
  • Submit the following documents to the DDS Service Center:
    • Your CLP
    • Your valid driver’s license
    • A hard copy of your CMV’s registration and a valid insurance card. Or, present a bill of sale if it was purchased within 30 days.
  • Pass the road test
  • Pay the license fee of $32

How to Get A Class M License in Georgia

There are 2 ways to get your Class M license in Georgia. 

The first method is by going to the DDS Customer Service Center and passing a vision exam, knowledge exam, and an on-cycle skills exam. 

If you’re taking this route, you must bring your motorcycle during the on-cycle skills exam. 

The second method is by taking a Motorcycle Safety Program Course. Taking the Motorcycle Safety Program Course allows you to skip the knowledge and on-cycle skills exam. 


So that was your complete guide to Georgia driver’s license classes. 

Now that you know all the license classes in the state, you know exactly which one you need. Also, now, you won’t be confused whenever others talk about, say, a Class A or Class D license. 

Do you need a Class C license?

What about a Class A, B, or C commercial driver’s license?

Or maybe it’s a Class M license you’re aiming for.

Whatever the case, you should follow the steps to get your license type right away. 

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *