Driver’s License Classes in Utah – And How to Get Each One

Driver’s License Classes in Utah - And How to Get Each One

So you’re planning to get a driver’s license in Utah…

But which one?

If you’re not sure, then you’ve come to the right place. 

Here, we’ll help you get the correct driver’s license class. 

Moreover, we’ll also walk you through the steps on how to get each license. 

You don’t want to apply for the wrong one!

So are you ready to learn more about the driver’s license classes in Utah?

Then let’s go!

What are the Driver’s License Classes in Utah?

Driver’s License Classes in Utah

There are 7 driver’s license classes in Utah. These are: 

  • Class A CDL
  • Class B CDL
  • Class C CDL
  • Class D
  • Class DCP
  • Limited-Term Driver’s License
  • Class M

Let’s see what vehicle each class can operate. 

Class A CDL

CDL stands for commercial driver’s license. 

So you get an idea what type of license class it is when you see the term “CDL”. 

But there are many CDL classes. 

Well, Class A CDL is used for operating the biggest combination trucks, such as truck tractors, semi-trailers, and trailer combinations. 

To know if it falls under this license, the vehicle should have a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds. For trailers, the towed vehicle should weigh more than 10,000 pounds. 

Since Class A CDL is the highest CDL class, you can also use it to operate Class B and Class C commercial vehicles. 

Class B CDL

This is for single commercial vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 pounds. If the vehicle is towing another vehicle, the towed one should not exceed 10,000 pounds. 

Examples of vehicles that fall under this type are straight trucks, smaller trailers, and huge city buses. 

Class B CDL holders can operate Class C commercial vehicles as long as they have the right endorsements. However, it cannot operate Class A commercial vehicles. 

Class C CDL

This is for smaller commercial vehicles.

Class C CDLs operate single commercial vehicles that have a GVWR of fewer than 26,001 pounds. If towing, the towed item should weigh fewer than 10,000 pounds.

However, take note that Class C CDLs are only used for these purposes:

  • Operating a vehicle that is designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver
  • Operating a vehicle that transports hazardous materials that require placarding

If your vehicle matches the weight requirements but is not used for these purposes, then a Class D license will do. 

Class D

Class D licenses are given to drivers operating non-commercial vehicles. This is the most common license class. 

If you refer to a “driver’s license”, this is what most people think of. 

Yes, yes. 

But what can a Class D license operate?

Any vehicle that weighs fewer than 26,000 pounds, tows fewer than 10,000 pounds, does not match the Class C CDL purposes, and is used for non-commercial drives. 

Class DCP

DCP stands for Driving Privilege Card. 

This license is similar to a Class D license — except that this is given to those who cannot provide proof of legal presence in the United States. 

Unlike a regular driver’s license, the Class DCP license cannot be used as an identification card. 

Limited-Term Driver’s License

The Utah DMV gives a limited-term driver’s license to people who are temporarily in the US.

This license states that it is temporary and it has an expiration date showing when it’s no longer valid. 

Usually, these are given to an approved asylee or refugee. 

Class M

This is more of an endorsement than a license class. 

Endorsements are placed on your driver’s license to allow you to operate certain vehicles. In this case, the Class M endorsement means you can ride a motorcycle on Utah roadways. 

How to Get a Class D License in Utah

You can start working on your Class D license once you turn 15 years old. 

For starters, you’re required to get a learner’s permit — but only IF: 

  • You are below 18 years old and are a first-time driver
  • You are 19 and above but want to waive the driver’s education

Once you turn 16 years old and fulfill some other requirements, you can switch to a first-time driver’s license. 

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves…

Let’s start from the very beginning. 

STEP 1: Get a Learner’s Permit

  • After that, you can schedule a learner’s permit appointment.
  • On your visit, bring the following with you:
    • Your parent or legal guardian (if you’re under 18 years old). 
    • Proof of identity and birthdate
    • 2 proofs of Utah residency address
    • Social Security card

Click here for acceptable documents. 

  • Submit your documents and have your parent/legal guardian sign for financial responsibility (if under 18 years old). 
  • Have your picture taken. 
  • Take and pass the eye screening. 
  • Take and pass the written knowledge exam. 
  • Pay the learner’s permit fee of $19.
  • Receive your learner’s permit. 

STEP 2: Get a First-Time License

  • Be at least 16 years old. 
  • Hold your learner’s permit for at least 6 months OR once you turn 18 years old (required for those below 18). 
  • Complete driver’s education. Your approved provider may be able to offer the skills test. If so, you no longer need to take it at a Driver’s License office. 
  • Practice driving for 40 hours, with 10 hours done after sunset. 
  • Bring the following with you:
    • Your learner’s permit (it should be valid)
    • A parent or legal guardian (if under 18 years old)
    • Any name change documentation (if applicable)
    • A vehicle for the test (if applicable)
  • Have your parent/legal guardian sign for financial responsibility and 40 hours of driving practice (if under 18 years old). 
  • Take your picture.  
  • Take and pass the eye test. 
  • Take and pass the skills test (if applicable).
  • Pay the first-time driver’s license fee of $39.
  • Receive your temporary driver’s license. Your 5-year official license will be sent in 4-6 weeks through the mail. 

When this first-time license expires, you will need to renew it — in which case, you’ll receive an official Class D license with no restrictions. 

If you want to learn more about the first-time driver’s license restrictions — or maybe you want to know the steps for those that are applying at 19+ years old — then check out our complete guide here. 

For a DCP or Limited-Term license class, you can visit their respective pages – DCP or Limited-Term

How to Get a Class A, B, and C CDL in Utah

Whether you need a Class A, B, or C CDL, the process is the same. 

Let’s go through it step by step.

  • Fulfill the eligibility requirements:
    • Be at least 18 years old OR 21 if driving interstate or getting a Class C CDL
    • Have a Class D license for a minimum of 1 year
    • Can show proof of identity, citizenship/legal presence, residence in Utah, and SSN
  • After the application, schedule an appointment.
  • Submit the documents either during your office visit or through email, fax, or mail:
    • Email –
    • Fax – 801.957.8633
    • Mail – Utah Driver License Division, ATTN: Med-Cert Desk, PO BOX 144501, Salt Lake City UT 84114-4501
  • Have your picture taken. 
  • Pass the eye screening. 
  • Pay the CDL permit fee of $52. For any endorsement, there is an additional $9 fee.
  • Pass the CDL written test and (if applicable) any endorsement test(s). 
  • Receive your CDL permit. 
  • During your visit to the examiner, bring the following:
    • Your valid CDL permit 
    • Your valid driver’s license 
    • A commercial vehicle that falls under your CDL class
    • Proof of identity, citizenship/legal presence, (2) Utah residency, and SSN
  • Pay the CDL skills test fee of $78. The fee for a third-party provider will depend. 
  • Pass the CDL skills test.
  • Go to the Driver’s License office you applied in and show proof of your CDL skills test pass score.
  • Give up your CDL permit.  
  • Receive your temporary CDL. Your official one will arrive in the mail in 4-6 weeks.

For even more information, such as endorsements and restrictions, you can read our complete guide here. 

How to Get a Class M License in Utah

Class M, commonly known as a motorcycle endorsement, is added to a driver’s license. 

If you don’t have a driver’s license yet, check our guide above to help you get one. 

But if you already have one, follow these steps for a motorcycle endorsement: 

  • During your appointment, bring these documents:
    • Your driver’s license
    • (2) proof of Utah residency (if your address changed from your driver’s license). You can also submit this proof online
  • Submit the documents, have your photo taken, and pass the vision test. 
  • Pay the $18 endorsement fee. 
  • If you’re 18 and below, you will receive a motorcycle learner’s permit. You will have to hold this for at least 6 months and follow the restrictions. 
  • Go to a Driver’s License office and do the following:
    • Submit the course completion card to waive the skills test (if applicable)
    • Surrender your old driver’s license
    • Receive your temporary driver’s license with an M endorsement
    • Wait for your official license to arrive in the mail

For more information, you can check here. 


Now you know about the different Utah driver’s license classes. 

You don’t just know what vehicle each class can operate — you know how to get the one you need. 

Just follow the steps that we outlined here. 
Best of luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *